Monday, May 2, 2011

You might not like this one...

      You might not like this post, but I am going to write it anyways.  When I turned on the news this morning, I quickly found out that Osama was killed.  The news talked about it, and it was even the leading story on ESPN this morning.  As I jumped on facebook I quickly noticed that the vast majority, though not all, of my friends who were commenting on the situation were rejoicing.  Sadly, I fear that many Christians in America will see this as God using his chosen nation, America, to purge the world of evil.  I struggle with the idea of rejoicing with the death of anyone.  Jesus said, we are to love our enemies, and love is not rejoicing in their death.  Love is actively desiring God's good for their life.  The ultimate good for Osama would have been a relationship with Jesus Christ and forgiveness of his sins (even though he would still have received many consequences on earth for his actions).  May we as believers be careful how we talk, think, and live during this time.  We as followers of Jesus are not to be like everyone else.  Maybe instead of rejoicing in the death of Osama, we should be mourning that in all likelihood, Osama has been ushered into an eternity without God.  Lastly, the thoughts of one of my seminary professors came to mind today,  "Osama has killed thousands, but we in America have killed over 35 million of the most innocent by abortion.  Maybe someone should attack us."  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment