Sunday, July 17, 2011

A toad, a lawnmower, and God's grace!

toad3.GIF.gif


              Last night as I was mowing our lawn a little toad jumped out in front of me and quickly darted out of the way of the blades.  For the next several passes through that area the toad continually seemed to find itself in the exact place where I was trying to go.  As this was going on I reflected on how easily I could kill this Toad, and the Toad could do absolutely nothing to stop it from happening.  Don't worry, the toad is still alive and most likely happily jumping through my back yard as I write this!  After I moved beyond morbid thoughts of my ability to kill this Toad, my mind moved on to think about the grace of God. 
       I imagine that compared to God in his infinite power, glory, strength, greatness, and on and on, we kind of seem like Toads. God at any point could destroy us, and there is absolutely nothing we could do to stop God from doing that!  The verse that came to mind was Psalm 8:3-4.  "When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and stars which you have ordained: what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for Him."  When you think of the magnitude of God it is amazing that God is mindful of us, and that God cares about us!  
       As amazing as that is, it becomes even more amazing when we realize that the same amazing God, who is mindful of us, is also the God that you and I sin against on consistent basis.  Back to the Toad!  Let's pretend that the Toad was able to bite and annoy me like a mosquito!  If that were the case, that Toad would have been chopped up and sent sailing by the blades of my lawn mower in an instant!  Yet, even though compared to God we are like Toads (in reality an ant would create even a better picture) and even though we being so tiny continually sin against God, God did something absolutely amazing.  Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates his own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  AMAZING!  
       Even though compared to God we are nothing, and even though in our nothingness we continually sin against God, God loved us so much that He sent his Son Jesus to die for us!  That is AMAZING!!!!!!  May you let that sink in today!  May you begin to comprehend how amazing and incredible God's love and grace for you is!  








No comments:

Post a Comment