Friday, December 29, 2017

What I am Reading: Finish by Jon Acuff




       I love to read!  However, one of the difficulties is that it is easy to go from one book to the next without taking time to reflect on what I just read.  Sometimes my desire to read lots makes it so that I actually miss out on the benefits of reading lots!  So the purpose of these "What I Am Reading Posts" is two-fold.  First, to cause me to slow down after finishing a book and reflect on what I read.  Secondly, to provide a short review for others to help them determine if they would like to read that book as well!

What Did I read?  "Finish" by Jon Acuff

Image result for Finish by Jon Acuff

Why I read it:  I have been familiar with Jon Acuff when a friend told me about his blog and book entitled, "What Christians Like" which I found funny and entertaining.  Jon in recent years has focused on helping people begin, make, plan, and now finish their goals!  The title of this book is what drew me in because as much as I hate to admit it I struggle to finish many of the goals that I start.  The one I dislike the most is how I have lost the same 20 pounds numerous times only to stop well short of my ultimate weight loss goal and put those 20 pounds right back on.  There have also been many projects, initiatives, ministry ideas that I start, get them going, and than they just fizzle out.  So, I read this book in hopes that I can find some benefit from it that will help me "Finish" more of what I set out to do.  

The Content:  The subtitle of this book could have easily been, "How Perfectionism Keeps You From The Finish Line,"  Jon looks at the lies that perfectionism tells us and how those lies keep us from finishing.  Jon gives practical and a bit out of the ordinary advice in the self help realm such as cutting your goals in half, purposely chose things that you are going to bomb (let go) while you focus on your goals, and work to add fun to all your goals.  Jon also focused in on the hiding places and noble obstacles that keep us from finishing.  A noble obstacle is, "an attempt to make your goal harder than it has to be so you don't have to finish, but can still look respectable."  He used the story of a neighbor who has the goal to clean out his garage but never will because he decided he has to have a garage sale before he cleans out the garage.  All the aspects that go into having a garage sale make it much less likely that his neighbor will ever complete his much simpler goal of cleaning out his garage.  Hiding places are the places we naturally go, without thinking, that take us away from working on our goal (can we say streaming television and social media)!  There is also a chapter dedicated to keeping track of data to help you get to the finish line and debunking some of the myths of data!  At the end of each chapter are a list of action steps that you are to do on your goals.  Haven't finished that yet (oops:  can I admit that when writing a review on a book entitled: "Finish") but seems like they will be helpful as I look at my goals for the upcoming year both personal and work related.  

What I liked:  First of all, Jon's humor that I first discovered on his blog a lot of years ago is still strong!  I found myself smiling and LOLing (did I really just write that) numerous times throughout this book!  I appreciate that!  Secondly, it was practical and not nearly as cheesy as most self-help books that, as a general rule, I avoid.  It was practical, it was simple, it seemed to ring with authenticity, and an understanding of real life.  I appreciated that Jon doesn't over promise.  You don't read that if you finish your goals you will become a millionaire, every dream will come true, and life will be grand.  Instead, he acknowledges that in the end you can never really know what will come of the finished product, but there will be satisfaction in finishing what you set out to do and keeping a promise that you made to yourself (your family, boss, work-place, etc).  Only time will tell if the ideas that I implement in this book will help me finish it seems it will be beneficial.  

What I didn't like:  I am not very good at being critical when it comes to my reading.  Likely, an area where I need to grow as reading books critically certainly has benefits.  Since I went into this book looking for exactly what it provided I don't have anything that comes to mind that I didn't like about it.  

Who Should Read this Book:  Anyone sho struggles with finishing!  If you find yourself struggling to finish the things you set out to do this book would be of benefit to you!  

If you have read Finish by Jon Acuff I would love to hear your thoughts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment