Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lada Gaga- Born this Way. A little truth, a lot to be concerned about.

       I  recently read the lyrics to Lady Gaga new song, "Born This Way."  Lady Gaga has the audience and the potential to speak for an entire generation of young people, and that is why this song concerns me so much.  Yes, there is much in the music scene that at first glance would seem to be much more concerning than "Born This Way" but what concerns me so much is the element of truth that is found in Lady Gaga's song.  With lyrics such as...

"There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are"
She said, "'Cause He (God) made you perfect, babe"
"So hold your head up, girl and you you'll go far,
Listen to me when I say"
I'm beautiful in my way,
'Cause God makes no mistake"

       There is much truth in those lines.  Truth that speak about how each person has been created by God and as a result there is much "worth" and "value" in each and every person.  Psalm 139 makes this abundantly clear.  "For You created me in my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place."  So Lady Gaga hits on an element of truth in her words, but she misses another element of truth.  She misses the truth that while God has created each one of us, we have all been corrupted by sin.   

       Romans 3:23- "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."  Yes, created perfectly by God, however each of us have been corrupted by sin.  Lady Gaga fails to acknowledge that and this is what scares me.  This "anthem" for young people is simply this.  God created you perfectly, so just do what you want to do.  Here are some more lyrics from "Born This Way"

Don't hide yourself in regret,
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way  

      Lady Gaga arrives at the dangerous conclusion that since God created you, just be yourself and you are on the right track.  That is scary because this song is calling millions of young people to live life being who they are, which sadly is not perfect, but sinful.  Who we are, however are humans with a ugly sinful nature that affects everything about who we are.  So while Lady Gaga says being yourself is putting you on the right track, in reality it is the wrong track that has devestating consequences for this life,and for eternity. 

      Yes, we have been created perfectly by God, however we have all been corrupted by sin.  The only way we can recover "perfection" is by admitting our desperate need for Jesus to heal us of our sin, and one day, when this earthly life is over, we will be restored to perfection.  Born this way- sinful.  The only remedy is the grace of God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ!  Praying that the whole truth will be revealed to all of us!  WE HAVE BEEN CREATED BY GOD!  WE ALL ARE SINFUL!  WE ALL NEED JESUS!  WE ALL NEED GRACE!  WE CAN ALL RECEIVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment