Monday, December 9, 2013

Faith Like a Child: You are dad!

      Becoming a dad  has opened up my eyes to some of the beautiful truths in Scripture that speak of God being our father, being our dad.  A couple situations that happened recently made me realize how beautiful it is that God is our dad.  On a Sunday morning when we were in church worshipping I was standing holding my three year old when she pointed at my name tag asking what it was and I told her that it told people what my name was.  She responding with a big smile and said, "daddy."  To my three year old that is my name, that is who I am.
     The other situation happened several weeks ago as we were playing at a park and my seven year old son was running around and playing with some other kids and I looked up to see him looking over the top of the play structure talking to his new friend, pointing at me, and saying, "That's my dad."  These two situations have given me pause in how to respond to the question who is God.  That is an extremely important question and it can answered in many different ways which are truthful and correct.  We can say God is creator.  God is holy.  God is just.  God is gracious.  God is love.  God is trinitarian.  God is glorious.  Those are all truthful statements of who God is.  However, as truthful as those descriptors are, sometimes they can be hard to grasp, to fully understand, and even harder to communicate to another person.  Maybe we would do better to begin answering the question "Who is God" by stating that he is my dad.  He loves me, he takes care of me.  When we see God working around us we can point to that and say, "that's my dad, he did that."  When we look at a beautiful sunset we can point to it and say, "my dad made that."
        God beginning in Genesis chapter three, where sin entered the scene and God's relationship with humans was broken, went on a relentless pursuit to restore that relationship.  The Bible is this massive love story where God is striving to make himself known to all people's and ultimately sends his own son to make himself known and to be able to restore the relationship that was broken.  God wanted to restore a father/son or father/daughter relationship.  More than God wants you to know that He is Holy, God wants you to know him as daddy.  More than God wants you to know that He is just, he wants you to know that he LOVES YOU and has done everything that needed to be done to restore this broken relationship.  It is in the context of a relationship that you will begin to understand what it means that God is creator, that God is holy, that God is gracious, that God is just, but the relationship is the starting place.  God is my dad!  God is my father!  That blows my mind!  "That's My DAD!"
     

No comments:

Post a Comment